Friday, October 22, 2010

Halloween Grinch

I have affectionately named myself the "Halloween Grinch". Here are all small things that bug me about this "holiday":
1. I don't want to spend money on a costume my child will wear once.
2. I'm not very creative or even comfortable dressing up (nor can I make a costume creatively for cheap...I've tried).
3. I REALLY don't want my child eating a whole bunch of candy and getting sick with all of the other trick-or-treaters (who put halloween at the beginning of flu season anyway..or is that what STARTS flu season...?).
4. I don't like being scared, scary movies, being afraid, etc.
5. Honestly, what are we "celebrating" anyway? Nothing! Though it's not longer really considered a "pagan" holiday, it still has it's origins in one (which is why some religions don't celebrate it at all).
6. It's a really UNSAFE holiday. Ever since I was small I always feel scared on Halloween night, even if I'm not going outside. Who knows what crazy person will show up at your door, or even at your church party (seriously...I've heard stories).

That being said, I somehow feel "sad" I'm missing out on all the excitement of this time of year. Who's not getting a pumpkin and picking a cute costume, right? Yet, "missing out" is not a real reason for me to want to "celebrate" Halloween (just like the excitement of the first day of school with all of the pictures and cute new outfits alone can't justify me sending my children to public school).

While I still decide what to do here are some ideas I've recently read/heard (please comment with any ideas you may have):


Alternatives to Halloween:
1. Have a harvest party instead (including lots of yummy fresh produce). I also make this my theme for decorating (I LOVE Autumn)!
2. Choose the "special pumpkin" and have a day dedicated to making pumpkin yummies.
- I tried this the first 2 years we were married...pumpkin has become my nemesis. (This is as close as I came to pumpkin baking in 2009 - a frosting decorated mini-cake)
3. Visit a corn maze (not all are Haunted).
4. Host a murder mystery party or watch a mystery movie (instead of a scary one).
5. Read a mystery book as a family, or do a round robin and make up your own story.
6. Have fun with "mad scientist" science experiments (I typed the bold words into a search engine and got a bunch of ideas - edible & non-edible) with your kids.
7. Have a costume scavenger hunt, where the children have to patch together their own costume from what each person brings back to find (this could work even in your house).

Ideas to minimize candy:
1. Take your kids to the mall (also a safer place).
2. Let the kids get as much as they want and pick a certain number of pieces.
3. Let them eat as much as they want through the day after Halloween and then have them put their bags under their pillows for the Tooth Fairy to collect. The Tooth Fairy leaves a special toy instead.
4. Throw a party instead of trick-or-treating. Then you control the goodies! Make other fun "scary" food instead that is healthy (ex: bob for apples). There are a million ideas online for this one! You could also have a pinata to include some candy.
5. I've heard some dentists will trade candy for a new toothbrush or another alternative.

Whatever you decide to do with your kids, make sure you take precautions to have a safe, healthy season. As far as our home goes, lovingly from this scrooge"Bah! Humbug!"



2 comments:

Erin said...

I'm with you once again! I'm all for the Harvest Party. One of these days we'll have to throw one together. I will send you my pumpkin sheet cake recipe. Yum! Have you ever made casserole inside of a pumpkin? It's pretty easy. We called it "spider goolosh" growing up. It was fun. I'll send you that recipe too. Love you!

Brittons of Provo said...

One of my favorite parts of halloween is the pumpkin carving, and you can definitely do that at a fall party. Pumpkins are a fabulous part of fall that don't have to be associated with halloween. Plus that opens up a lot more options for cool designs if you aren't doing scary things. I agree though, I don't love the candy or the scariness. I have to figure out what our families traditions are going to be. :)