Helping to satisfy cravings while staying healthy:
* Try to figure out why your body might be craving a certain food (it needs extra protein, you're lacking a certain vitamin, you are dehydrated) and choose a healthier option to satisfy your craving.
* Save your sweet cravings for special occasions. I find when I don't have sweets in my home, there are PLENTY of extra opportunities to have them outside (and I don't want them as much actually).
* Share your sweets with a friend, instead of eating them all yourself. If social eating is a temptation, eat alone more often or eat a small healthy snack before heading off with friends.
* Be satisfied with a small taste, instead of eating "the whole bag".
* Research recipe ideas for healthy sweet treat. This is my newest goal, now that we're getting a better basis of healthy meals. Some of my new favorites include:
- Homemade applesauce (w/ some cinnamon added - no sugar) w/ raisins
- A smoothie
- PB & J Truffles
- All natural juice (or freeze it for a yummy summer treat)
(Can you tell it's usually because I'm also thirsty I crave sweets??)
* Research ideas for healthy quick snacks that you can have (even while you're cooking dinner and "can't" wait until it's finished). Some of my favorites include:
- Mexican Bean Salad
- Avocado Dip
- Apple/Tuna salad (on whole wheat bread)
- Tomato sandwiches
- Bruchetta (well, I'm hoping it'll be my favorite when my pregnancy is over and the love I had for garlic comes back)
- Homemade Granola Bars
- Popcorn (flavored with herbs/seasonings instead of salt or corn syrup)
Curbing Cravings (mostly personal observations)
* Stay hydrated.
* Plan ahead for meals (not wanting the quickest food you can find, or the sugary sweet that is so easily accessible).
* Don't keep anything stocked in your house that is a particular weakness for you.
* Eat natural sugars in the morning (fresh fruit, smoothies, fruit muffins, granola) to keep from craving sugary sweets in the evening).
* Go to bed on time! Staying up usually means another meal (that wasn't planned and therefore, ends up not being the healthiest).
* Check out this short article, "How to Curb Your Cravings" (also the picture source).
If you pay attention, cravings can teach you a great deal about yourself. Do you have self-mastery? How do you treat emotional problems in your life? How important is a healthy life to you? What do you most value?
It's a process. I've found different stages or situations may bring up new cravings. They also lend opportunities for new insight and personal growth. Good luck conquering your cravings! YOU CAN DO IT...and it is worth it!!!

1 comment:
Great post Amy. Thanks. I've been struggling with this one.
Post a Comment