While the work goes on in establishing the details of the statement, we do have a short three principles our mission statement will include:
A. Smith Family
Knowledge & Wisdom
Faithful Obedience
Charity
We can feel overwhelmed and run ourselves down trying to do everything good in this world. Truly, there is so many good causes. But what is it that you (your family) is meant to do? Where do your specific talents and interests lie? What is it you enjoy? What is a cause that unites individuals and binds you as a family? Answering these questions honestly will give you a sense of belonging and purpose; a mission in this world. While the common purpose of this life for all humanity is to "prepare to meet God" by receiving the necessary covenants and performing the ordinances of his gospel, our particular path will be as unique, just as each of God's children is unique.
Now, our above mission statement is not quite a cause. Yet it is the beginning governing principles that help us determine what causes we will be involved in and where our priorities lie. I'm grateful to my husband for leading out in this endeavor. I'm grateful for the structure and the order it encourages in our home.
I thought about composing a song around these principles (I still may), but realized the other day singing "Seek the Lord Early" that this inspired primary song matches so perfectly our family mission. Interestingly, before we ever came up with a mission statement, my husband and I decided our family hymn would be "Because I Have Been Given Much", a hymn full of gratitude that moves us to charitable acts towards others. Each time I sing the hymn I think of my family.
Growing up my mother started a unifying force in our family through song. She'd sit at the piano and we'd all gather around her one by one until we were a full choir. While my father never joined in (he'll tell you because of his lack of musical ability), he too would stop whatever he was doing to come sit, listen, and cheer us on (often making jokes about us making him rich someday). One song in particular became our "family song". It was, "If We Hold On Together" from The Land Before Time. When we grew older and most of us had left the house (or were about it) my mother gave each of us a copy. It reminds us that each of us in united in helping each other achieve the same eternal goal. Each time I sing it, I still think of my family.
One final example (though I could give so many more): awhile ago (actually July 2010) Austin and I decided to start memorizing scriptures and hymns together. We began with the scripture in Alma, Chapter 57 vs. 27. I suppose you could say we "ended" with it as well. We never changed the scripture. In fact, the same written out scripture stayed on our front door until I took it down at the beginning of this month. While it may seem that good intentions were wasted, I really memorized that scripture. It became a part of us (though I've never been very good with the reference) and seems to say to me "this is who you are, because of the last name that you carry."
I think often of Nephi and the goodly parents he had - the good name he was given (1 Nephi 1:1). There is something significant in this statement. There is a reason these familial ties are discuss before they endeavor a difficult trek through the wilderness as a family. Each family passes through some kind of refining fire. Our "unifier" whatever it may be, can help us to to conquer, to "hold on together".
These thoughts encourage me to ponder on what I am passing along to my children. What kind of name, purpose, and mission are they given? Will it be strong and deep enough to help us pass through the refining fire that lies ahead?
What unifier have you created for your family?

No comments:
Post a Comment