Friday, July 9, 2010

Consider the Lilies

Last night I took my final quiz and will soon be officially receiving a certificate as a "Family Herbalist" from the Dr. Christopher School of Natural Healing. I loved the course and I found that I am still craving more knowledge! What an exciting beginning it has been.

The use of herbs medicinally is a debated topic. Though my mother dabbled in natural ways of healing I still found it odd and felt unsure what to think. I had a close friend and roommate who used herbs in college and that was the beginning of my experimentation. When I became a wife and home-maker though, I found a desire to live healthy. I slowly tried to change our diet to be more healthy, hoping to correct some of Austin's health problems that began to emerge. After becoming a mother, I became even more frustrated with the medical profession being unable to help with health issues, or worse, prescribing medicine whether or not they thought it would do anything. I met a few new friends in my ward who also used herbs and/or we very careful about their diet. All of these were personal preparations for me and little building blocks.


Though I continued to improve, I still wasn't completely "converted". One of the pivotal moments for me was when our whole family got sick with various illnesses in February 2010. Cadence came down with a bad double ear infection. The doctor put him on 10 days of antibiotics (of a drug I have always hated anyway so I was reluctant) and though it appeared to improve, as soon as the drugs were gone it came back! I called the doctor's office to see what they would say.

They would either give him another round of the same antibiotic, or a different drug. It didn't sit well with me. I started thinking of all the young babies I have heard of recently having one ear infection after another, only to then have tubes put in. The numbers seemed astonishing to me! How could so many babies need tubes? Something was wrong...
A couple friends suggested I try oil of garlic for Cade's ears. I did and he was cleared up in two days! At about the same time, I really began to study and think about the Word of Wisdom. It seemed to discuss herbs but I felt I had no idea how to really use them. I knew I needed something more. Something practical that would help to know HOW to use them. It was the perfect time in my life and that same dear friend, suggested again that I take the Family Herbalist course.

I have always considered myself health conscious, but when I took this class I realized how little I know (and how little most of America knows for that matter) about keeping our bodies healthy. I feel so blessed that during the course of my studies our family has been given experiences to practice the things I am learning. The more I've learned the more I realized I didn't know. I feel like my eyes have been opened to a whole new world of health, in which I am in control, working with the many blessings I have received from the Creator.

Luke 12:27-30
27 Consider
the lilies how they grow: they toil not, they spin not; and yet I say unto you, that Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.

28 If then God so clothe the grass, which is to day in the field, and to morrow is cast into the oven; how much more will he clothe you, O ye of little faith?

29 And seek not ye what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink, neither be ye of doubtful mind.
30 For all these things do the nations of the world seek after: and your Father knoweth that ye have need of these things.

I know that God has provided for our every need. He loves us and wants us to be healthy and happy. Though we are just beginning I know we are on a path to long and healthy lives in the Lord's service.

2 comments:

genevievepelissie said...

Just wonderful, Amy. I'm so happy for your knowledge and the base it has given you upon which you will build for the rest of your life. Just marvelous.

Jenny said...

so cool! Another topiv to add to our list to chat about next time we get together :) I think sometimes I forget that just because I'm done with school doesn't mean there aren't lots of chances for continuing ed on any topic I want, thanks for reminding me of this!