Monday, June 21, 2010

Education Options


Some may think I'm a little too hasty, but Austin & I have already decided to "home-school" our children. There are LOTS of reasons for choosing this, but here are just a couple:

1. Content. This means a couple of things including (but not limited too) a more quality education, specific to their interests, including God & real truth. The last is the most important to me. God is an all-knowing, loving Heavenly Father & any truth we gain comes from Him. How can we take Him out of learning? I hate political correctness, especially at times when it means my children can't be told that God really did create the world. "That's one theory" they say. In my home, I don't have to worry about being politically correct by disguising the truth. In addition, I think the gospel can be integrated into so many more subjects and I am excited to accomplish that through home school. (Ex: Number 1 on my mind: Constitution was inspired by God, so what does He have to say about it?)



2. Love of learning. I was having a conversation just the other day with someone about this. I said, "I love learning lots of things" and they said, "I hate learning". I responded, "You mean there is nothing you'd like to learn about?" "Well, I hate learning anything in school..." and then they proceeded to talk about other interests they'd like to pursue on their own. What is it about public school that kills learning for kids? I haven't come to a full conclusion, but perhaps it might be they can't really learn at their own pace, or they can't really study what they are interested in. I want my children to love to learn and to understand HOW to learn on their own. Of course this means continual learning for me (which is I think what scares some people away from homeschooling).

3. Motherhood is means educating. As a mother, my role is over the education of my children. I feel like home school is the best option for me personally because it focuses on a talent that I have (teaching was what I studied in school and LOVE to do) and will keep me growing.
I don't feel like I need 8 hours a day without my children for some alone time for myself. I feel much happier when I think of having an experience doing something I love WITH my children. I do think alone time for mommy's is important, but that can be fit into an everyday schedule.
Seeing the face of a child "get it" for the 1st time is one I don't plan to pass off to lots of other people, especially in their younger years. In fact, because I have decided to home school, I am already teaching Cadence so many things! It has already made me more learning-minded as a mother. Even to the extent of thinking "When my son sees me do this, what is he learning?". I hope he learns to love learning by watching his mom and dad.

4. Flexibility!!! When we are flexible, we are much better equipped to serve the Lord. This is one reason I'm very grateful for my husband's job. We can take family trips when we want and my children will be allowed to give their bodies proper rest when they are ill. The list really goes on.
Not to mention the flexibility of options are endless just for curriculum and the way you want to set your "school" up. There is no group of teachers, administrators, & board, choosing something that is best for a whole range of children. Just two parents, choosing what is best for each child. That's another thing I love - it is different for EACH child.

I realize there are cons to homeschooling as well but with careful planning, they won't even be a second thought for us. That being said, here are a couple of things home school is NOT to me (most of them being typical stereo-types towards home schooled families):

1. Home school is NOT anti-social (and with the "society" in public schools today I doubt their social skills will be better for going anyway).
2. Home school is NOT the best option for everyone.
3. Home school DOES NOT mean my children will be "stupid" or "unlearned".
4. Home school is NOT "easy", or "playtime".
5. Home school is NOT about "sheltering" my children and keeping them "naive".
6. Home school DOES NOT mean I am an expert (or that I have to be) on everything.
7. Home school DOES NOT mean I think that public school parents are "bad".

Basically, I get to choose (a gift given from God). I choose for each child what is best for them, along with the Lord and my husband. They get to choose more of what they are learning and the pace that is comfortable for them. I love choices!

(I added some websites/blogs I am studying about home school through on the link list on the right. If you have others you have found, please share!)





3 comments:

Shalae said...

Love these thoughts Amy. I've been thinking about this all day today, and was looking at the links you sent. Thanks a ton! All of the reasons you mention are reasons I want to do it too. There was actually a meeting at 11:00 at the provo library on Thursday for info on the K12 site you sent. Thought I might go, just to find out more about it, if you interested your welcome to come with me.

Jessica said...

I love this post. I really hadn't even thought about home school as an option but now I'm really considering it. I love you and your wonderful thoughts :)

Courtney said...

Great thoughts! I would add my other own reason for homeschooling is I strongly dislike "No Child Left-Behind".