I was thinking a lot this year about the Easter holiday. We do all of these special things during Christmas to bring the Spirit of Christ into our lives. But what about Easter? For our family, it's never been "as big" or as anticipated as Christmas. So, I spent last Christmas trying to make it less commercial and this Easter trying to make it "more important". For without Christ's resurrection and glorious victory over death, we would not be celebrating Christmas either. On my brother's mission, he had a companion whose mom sent them a package. In the package was, due to their family tradition, 8 easter eggs. Inside each egg was a symbol of Easter, along with a scripture. Though my brother could not remember all of the symbols and all of the scriptures, I thought this would be a fun way to combine something in the spring that represents new life (easter eggs) with the symbols of Christ. I came up with some of my own symbols/scriptures that I felt were important to remember. We open one each day, the last one always being opened on Easter Sunday. Here they are in order.
A couple of notes: I used some "pictures" because I didn't have a tiny plastic loaf of bread, etc. Also, #7 is when the stone is rolled away, so you may want to do that Easter Sunday morning, and do #8 that evening with your family. For the fabric, I just used felt and asked the lady at the craft store for a "sample" of the fabric. They will usually cut of a small piece for ya. Be creative!!
Last, I have a couple of extras of small wooden crosses, etc., so if you live close to me and you'd like 'em, let me know :) I don't plan to use them for anything else.
1 comment:
Hey the comments work!
I love these ideas. It's great for kids. It is silly that the true meaning of Easter is so neglected.
Post a Comment